press any key prompt

Jan 6, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Would it be possible to change the app to allow a user to enable a prompt just like you get with a cd/dvd boot?  Depending on the boot order set in BIOS you can get stuck booting into setup every time instead of bypassing the USB if no key is pressed.  It's not a big deal if you're just building a single machine and watching the build the entire time but it does become an issue if you have several machines you're rebuilding or need to be off doing something else while the install is going.

Jan 7, 2010 at 1:05 AM

Hmm I've actually been hoping for years that Microsoft would consider an optional Press Any Key To Boot USB, just I've never thought Microsoft has listened to any of my ideas or requests in the past so I never mentioned it before. I really think this would be an important change in the method of booting setup from USB, if an end user was able to optionally boot from USB then I'd leave the BIOS set to boot from USB first, currently this is a bad idea due to the Setup Loop problem mentioned above. If the ntldr was able to ask if booted from USB drive, or chain the boot back to the first HDD if not pressed then it would be easier to tell someone how to install it.

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:35 AM

I agree : this option should be built in.

It works correctly for DVDs, but I don't think anyone is using those anymore since... well, ages ago :)